Thursday, July 20, 2006

Sore throats


Well, I am recovering from my sore throat but I am still away from work. I was informed of a few meetings that I was supposed to go to but unfortunately I will not be able to make it there.

I had a comment in my first post regarding remedies for sore throat.

Sore throat?

Drink warm water, add some Manuka honey (di supasave ada) and few slices of lemon.

To relieve my boredom, I decided to do a bit of researching on sore throats. By definition, it is an infection of throat. There are many structures in the human throat, including that thing hanging down in the middle (called uvula). Bruneians tend to say sore throats as sakit leher but many use the term tonsil. I think they say tonsil because most of us associate sore throat with tonsillitis, inflammation of the tonsils. More than 90% of all sore throats are caused by virus rather than bacteria.

Treatment of sorethroats are usually symptomatic, therefore the commentor's advice on drinking warm water with honey and lemon are quite correct. This helps to soothe the throat. Salt water is also adviced but I tend to choke on it. My personal preference is hot sweet tea and lemon which reminds me of lemsip without the paracetamol inside. Lozenges are also quite good. Antibiotics are not needed in most cases.

I'm glad that my throat is improving, after a few days stuck at home is enough for me. The problem with having a sick leave is that you have to rest at home and recover.

1 comment:

rose said...

yeah that remedy was suggested to me by my chinese colleague... she especially requested me to use 'Manuka' honey heee... cos it contains antiseptic? not sure abt this... i didnt even look it up hehe... and yep di supasave saja ada..

another pharmacist friend of mine always suggested to me - "eat lots n lots of oranges" ... hehe

the gurgling with salt water will only work if u r on the verge of getting a sore throat... mcm dry n itchy throat kali.. (got this from someone as well haha so dont quote me on this ya..)