Tuesday, October 17, 2006


It is almost Hari raya Aidilfitri, a day of celeberation for all muslims. As with other years, shops in Brunei are always full of people, trying to get themselves ready to celebrate Hari Raya. Shops have reported been crowded with people and the roads leading to the shops congested with cars.

It came as surprise to me that during the past two nights, the shops have suddenly become less busy, almost back to normal season. I thought everybody have finished their hari raya shopping, Then I realised something. Its middle of the month and most people probably are a bit short of cash, not everybody mind you.

This phenomenon is normal in Brunei. Shops tend to be busy around 28th (depends on when government servants get their wages) up till probably 1st week of the next month. Then slowly, less and less people go shopping and shops are almost empty after 20th of the month. I thought that this month will be different since hari raya shopping is important and people need certain items badly. But if you take into account other expenses like clothes, cakes, biscuits and other items which need to be ordered in advance, then you can see why shops are not as busy now.

This month the wages will come out on 21st October, almost a week earlier than usual. Banks have put up notices that they will be open longer than usual to cater for this. If the moon is to be sighted on Sunday,22nd October, then that Saturday will be the only time for us to visit the banks, apart from maybe a few branches which open on Sundays. After raya, shops will be empty again, since it's going to be around 5 weeks in between wages.

Personally, I like to go to the shops at the end of the month. That's when I most of my shopping and I will just stay away from shopping areas on the first few days after wages. And I will make sure I have enough cash so that I do not have to queue up at ATM machines during this time.

Lastly remember to spend wisely and enjoy yourselves during this festive season.

No comments: